Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A couple of hockey things

Abbotsford, BC has a new AHL hockey team. Well, it's not exactly new. The Calgary Flames moved their AHL affiliate from Iowa to Abbotsford and changed its name to the HEAT. Well, Abbotsford residents actually picked the name, but I'm splitting hairs. I wrote something up about that and the good people over at The Hockey Writers website picked it up. It's an amazing website chock-full of all things hockey. Here's the link to the Abbotsford story:
http://thehockeywriters.com/abbotsford-heating-up-hockey/


Calvin Pickard/Photo: David Pitcher/Seattle Thunderbirds

Also, congratulations are in order for T-Birds goalie Calvin Pickard, who spend his summer vacation helping Team Canada win the gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial U-18 Tournament in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. He helped Canada go undefeated throughout the tournament. Here's a link to the recap:
http://blogs.king5.com/sports/2009/08/whl-calvin-pickards-amazing-va.html

I'm starting to get excited about the new season. The T-Birds open training camp this coming weekend. I'm sure the Silvertips are ready to get on the ice too! I hope both teams will open some of their training camp to the public-- or at least let me in to watch for a bit, so I can write about it at the KING 5 hockey page, or here at Daily Su.

No comments:

Post a Comment