Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Puck-pourri: A new column, Super-Sized Sunday and an awesome dinner/T-Birds game deal

Now that we're on the brink of a new hockey season, I need to knuckle down to some serious writing, especially as I've added a new column to my repertoire. The nice Mike Chen at FROM THE RINK has invited me to cover the WHL for them and I've said yes. However, I will NOT be doing a WHL blog for SB Nation this season. Since I've rejoined the ranks of the employed, my writing time has been severely cut and I need to focus the majority of my attention on writing my second novel and promoting the first. There IS time for hockey, but not to the extent that I would have had to commit myself.

Anyway, back to FROM THE RINK. I posted my first blog for them on Friday (my regular posting day)- a little blip about the WHL's pre-season action that's already under way. If you want to check it out, just click here.

Many of you know that I co-host a hockey show on Sundays with my friend Cassie McClellan. Some of our friends also have shows on Sundays. Tomorrow, three shows are joining forces for one SUPER-SIZED SUNDAY HOCKEY EXTRAVAGANZA. The Hockey Guys, The Program and CCPT Hockey will air as one mondo show starting at 5pm Pacific/8pm Eastern. We've never done anything like this before. It should be pretty interesting, to say the least.

The Seattle Thunderbirds are going to be fun to watch this season. Last year was the beginning of a time of rebuilding for the team. This year, the 16 year olds are older and wiser, and goaltender Calvin Pickard is on tap to have a hell of a season. There are many critics writing off the T-Birds, but I think we're in for a few surprises. To make things even better, Salty's Seafood is teaming up with the T-Birds to offer its "dinner and a game" special again. $55 gets you a 3 course meal, transportation to and from ShoWare Center and a ticket to the game. Right now, the offer is for the home opener on Saturday, September 25 against the Portland Winterhawks and the game on Friday, November 19 against the Spokane Chiefs, but expect to see that list expand as the season goes on. To check out the menu and other details, click here.

Here's a look at some of the features I'm working on right now to post in the coming days and weeks: A piece about some of the more amazing women of hockey's blogosphere; a story about the WHL's awesome scholarship program, featuring interviews with several players who have benefited from being able to go to school after aging out of the league; and a chat with the play-by-play guys of the WHL's US Division.

As you wait for the WHL's season to fully kick off (yes, I'm mixing sports), here's a list of websites you might want to bookmark or keep in a handy place:

The WHL

US Division Teams
Everett Silvertips
Seattle Thunderbirds
Portland Winterhawks
Spokane Chiefs
Tri City Americans

Other Western Conference Teams
Chilliwack Bruins
Kamloops Blazers
Kelowna Rockets
Prince George Cougars
Vancouver Giants

Eastern Conference Teams

Brandon Wheat Kings
Calgary Hitmen
Edmonton Oil Kings
Kootenay Ice
Lethbridge Hurricanes
Medicine Hat Tigers
Moose Jaw Warriors
Prince Albert Raiders
Red Deer Rebels
Regina Pats
Saskatoon Blades
Swift Current Broncos

No comments:

Post a Comment